Literate Alliance

I just meant in general. I like DC. Marvel characters; with some exceptions of course; seem to run out of interesting things to do.

In general probably DC, too.

LOL.

Well, read the comic! I like the queen of the movie better than the graphic novel, too. Frank hasn't done much with his female characters except enhance their cup size with every issue. With some exceptions like Sin City's Gail. I like her.

I read the GN when it first came out.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was just loling.

I've not picke dup Sin City in a loong time though...

As far as Frank Miller and graphic novels / comics goes, hell yes. Sin City and 300 are awesome books, and I am a fan of both movies.

Some favorite comics include Leage of Extraodinary Gentlemen (but not the movie), Captin America, Iron Man, Ghost in the Shell, and Gunsmith Cats (had an anime kick for a while).
--bill

Never got into anime. I'm a bit of a nationalist when it comes to my GNs. I love Sin City, had the graphic novels LONG before the movie came out. I had V for Vendetta before the movie. I had some of the original issues of Batman, too. But not in anywhere near mint condition, before anyone asks. I loved my comics as a kid. I wasn't looking to sell them for monetary profit when I was older.

Marcena said:
Never got into anime. I'm a bit of a nationalist when it comes to my GNs. I love Sin City, had the graphic novels LONG before the movie came out. I had V for Vendetta before the movie. I had some of the original issues of Batman, too. But not in anywhere near mint condition, before anyone asks. I loved my comics as a kid. I wasn't looking to sell them for monetary profit when I was older.

Transmetropolitan FTW.

poolboy said:
Marcena said:

Transmetropolitan FTW.

A what?

Marcena said:
poolboy said:
Marcena said:

Transmetropolitan FTW.

A what?

Inspired by the success of Vertigo Comics, DC attempted to release a new line of science fiction comics under the Helix Comics imprint. The only comic to survive that short-lived experiment was Transmetropolitan, by Warren Ellis, when it moved to Vertigo. I'm trying to find a way to describe it. Imagine if Hunter S. Thompson, hopped up on drugs modern man can not even begin to conceive yet, took a blowtorch and pliers to scurvy criminals that make **** Cheney look like Jimmy Carter.

Ah, nice.

The latest graphic novel series that I'm following is called "Fables: Legends in Exile". Anyone heard of?

Marcena said:
Ah, nice.

The latest graphic novel series that I'm following is called "Fables: Legends in Exile". Anyone heard of?

MY brother is a big fan of Fables. I've not read it. I also liked the early stories in the Books of Magic series.

just started hp:deathly hallows im a slacker.. broke my left elbow thurs so starting book while healing

Fables is F-ing awesome. Legends in exile is the first collection book. I think they are on book 10 or 11 now. They are all really reallt good. Bigby is my hero. Immagin if the big bad wolf was a werewolf who smokes 3 packs a day, dresses like a film noir private eye, and is the current sherrif of a community of people from fairy tales and legends. yeah, its like that.
--bill

In the beginning, I liked Marvel. Lately I seem to be more of a fan of DC Vertigo. Specifically for "Preacher" and "Sandman". "V for Vendetta", of course, and there are a smattering of others.

I used to read comics all the time, now more into graphic novels. (Easier to have a dozen comics in one package, too; that way I don't have to race out and pick one up each month. I can wait.)

ChrisO

dreadpiratebill said:
Fables is F-ing awesome. Legends in exile is the first collection book. I think they are on book 10 or 11 now. They are all really reallt good. Bigby is my hero. Immagin if the big bad wolf was a werewolf who smokes 3 packs a day, dresses like a film noir private eye, and is the current sherrif of a community of people from fairy tales and legends. yeah, its like that.
--bill

I think Pinocchio is my favorite. I've only read up to the second one. And Jack gets his own series?! I call shenanigans.

poolboy said:
[
Inspired by the success of Vertigo Comics, DC attempted to release a new line of science fiction comics under the Helix Comics imprint. The only comic to survive that short-lived experiment was Transmetropolitan, by Warren Ellis, when it moved to Vertigo. I'm trying to find a way to describe it. Imagine if Hunter S. Thompson, hopped up on drugs modern man can not even begin to conceive yet, took a blowtorch and pliers to scurvy criminals that make **** Cheney look like Jimmy Carter.

Transmetropolitan is a still-relevant and scathing look at modern society and especially politics through the lens of a future world. Warren Ellis is among the trio of comics/graphic novel writers who I will invariably at least give a shot, along with Neil Gaiman and Garth Ennis. If you're looking for other things that really stretch the medium, I suggest looking up Preacher, Planetary, Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E, The Sandman, or The Boys. Transmet first, though. As a warning, none of the above are much at all like the classical 'kids' books' definition of comics, and some deal with very adult themes and motifs.

As for what I'm reading, here's a cross section of this month so far.

Completed :
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Heinlin
I, Jedi - M. Stackpole
Reserved For The Cat - Mercedes Lackey
THUD! - Terry Pratchett
Going Postal - Terry Pratchett
Making Money - Terry Pratchett
The Saint - Dan Abnett

In Progress :
Swords of Eveningstar - Ed Greenwood
Jonathan Strange & Mister Norell - Susanna Clarke
Whitechapel Gods - S. M. Peters

To Read :
Cyteen - C.J. Cherryh

I go through a book every day or two, for the most part. Kills me as a writer, because every time I come up with a plot concept, I remember who's done something similar and feel like a hack, even if my audience might never get the reference.

Back