Staempunk LARP? Zombie LARP?

RiddickDale said:
Robb Graves said:
true, but that does remove a big fear factor in the game. fear that someone else will do something stupid, get infected, kill us all.. etc.

Not necassarily.

These are just ordinary people under sever psychological stress... there would always be the possibility of someone going off the deep end.

I'll be honest. When I consider the quality of RP that I have seen from our players... I would be MUCH more afraid of someone being told by a Marshal that they are "lost it" and that they need to start manifesting a given psych disorder than if they were to just fall over and reanimate as a zombie.

Stephen

I can see that - but again you have to make sure that they have all the information - it would be very CoC-esque in the sudden onset of "ZOMG you've seen terrible things - save vs. crazy!"

If we want to keep close to the "modern alliance world" concept - then allowing rezes is the way to go, but how? Maybe do a combo of the two concepts of immunity and infection... You start out immune, but as your spirit weakens you get more and more suseptable. Of, course, I'm assuming this is going to be a high-fatality event, that there would be that many rezes, but it kind of has to be, right?

Personally, I like the fear aspect - the "numbers keep dwindling, how can we stay alive?" thing really appeals to me. :)

There is a zombie apocalypse larp called Dystopia rising that has a rez mechanic. If you "die" you are brought back to a medical facility and "worked on" and can come back a certain number of times before you succumb to the infection.

RiddickDale said:
There is a zombie apocalypse larp called Dystopia rising that has a rez mechanic. If you "die" you are brought back to a medical facility and "worked on" and can come back a certain number of times before you succumb to the infection.

Exactly where I was going with that :)

I might suggest not allowing 2 free deaths and up to 10 black stones (characters never seem to die)... although, this game will probably be MUCH more fatal with the "Earth circle" medical bay filled with bodies all the time, so maybe it's not so bad.

I think the fear of permanent death or infection should be high though.

Robb Graves said:
I might suggest not allowing 2 free deaths and up to 10 black stones (characters never seem to die)... although, this game will probably be MUCH more fatal with the "Earth circle" medical bay filled with bodies all the time, so maybe it's not so bad.

I think the fear of permanent death or infection should be high though.

I'm still a fan of the stop watch... Only a marshall knows what you pulled - if you pull black - BAM! when that watch runs out, you are a brain eater!

I just like the randomness of not knowing what will happen and no one knowing if you were infected on this "treatment" round or not. There is, of course a chance that you change before you exit the "medical facility" and eat all the patients and medical personnel.

Selo said:
There are things in a medical facility that could be used as a weapon (bonesaw, scalpel, etc)

Those type of things don't have much reach, so you would be looking at an early case of deadite.

I would see the LARP like this:

Story-
Parasol Inc, has developed a wonder cure that will cure any disease on the planet. Little did Parasol Inc know that this cure would mutate in human hosts after a year incubation period. Now it has become a highly contagious disease that has run rampant through the entire world. 75% of the worlds population has been infected. Only 25% were immune to it. However, this disease turns infected humans into flesh eating zombies! It is up to you, the remaining human population, to find a cure for this horrible disease and to survive!

Races-
Human and Zombie

Classes-
I see this system being based on a "Merit/Flaw" system in which players (Zombie and Human) purchase skills that would aid and hinder their characters. On top of that add a simple system that is easily translated to newer players, yet still complex enough that players don't get bored with the mechanics. Therefor, there would be no "Class System" but rather a character makes a concept and can purchase skill accordingly.

Skills-
I would throw in a skill set for both Zombies and Humans. Include future skills like Chemistry, Engineering, Gun Use, Medicine, Hacking and stuff like that. Also allow for zombies to get useful skills such as "regenerates unless killed by decapitation" or "Blood is like acid" and skills like that.

Magic?-
I most likely wouldn't use magic at all. Instead replace it with more unique production skills. Acids instead of elemental based damage. Armor that protects against attacks instead of "Protection spells". Stuff like that.

Examples:
Joe decides he wants to play a zombie for an overnight game. He decides that for his flaws he wants to be "Slow Moving" (Cannot run) and "Dumb as a Rock" (Cannot open doors or use any sort of technology). But for Merits he takes "Tough as Nails" (Bonus Health) and "Fists of Fury" (Bonus Damage with Claws or Fists). For skills he takes a lot of damage for his claws and some defenses so he won't drop like meteor from the sky. Now Joe puts on his costume and is ready for the game!

Erica loves playing zombies! But this weekend she wants to see what it is like to be hunted. She isn't great at melee combat so she decides to make a "Scientist" type character. She picks up merits like "Smarter than a 5th Grader" (Allows this character to use more advanced items and technology) and "Prodigy, Engineering" (Bonus to Engineering skill). She also decides that her flaws will be "Yellow Belly" (Fear effects last longer), "Weak Stomach" (Nausea like effects last longer), "Old War Wound" (Lower Health than normal characters). Erica now purchases skills like Engineering, Computer Hacking, Chemistry and Medium Gun usage. During logistics she creates a bunch of items that will help her and her friends out... (Items like Health Kits, a Rail Gun for a friend, and some good ol fashioned Dynamite.) Now Erica is ready to rock those Zombies!

*shrugs*

Paul Iverson

Selo said:
There are things in a medical facility that could be used as a weapon (bonesaw, scalpel, etc)

I would never consider those as weapons against zombies. Bonesaw requires a power source therefore you can't be mobile. A scalpel against a zombie is just a terrible idea.

meh, zombies to me can't be a chooseable race. the reason would be, "what do you do when someone kills you".. a human PC might have the neat experience of becoming a zombie and continues playing.. a dead zombie is a dead zombie.. they need to head back to monster camp, change thier makeup and head back out as a new role.

RiddickDale said:
I dunno...

If they are going to allow guns then there should be a system where gun use is skill based. I have never even HELD a gun. I should not be able to use one as well as someone who has been hunting since they were 10.

I don't think it needs to be complex though.

Something like what Matt suggested would work.

Then just create a simple list of skills and let people go to town.

Even if somebody has never held a gun, I'm pretty sure they know how it works. Wheter or not they are capable of hitting a target is up to the person and cannot really be translated to skill points.

Robb Graves said:
meh, zombies to me can't be a chooseable race. the reason would be, "what do you do when someone kills you".. a human PC might have the neat experience of becoming a zombie and continues playing.. a dead zombie is a dead zombie.. they need to head back to monster camp, change thier makeup and head back out as a new role.

/agree

Zombies are just plot-controlled NPC's... sure some can be a bit harder and some can be a bit quicker, and maybe some have "I drank the magic Kool Aid" bonus powers, but I wouldn't really have it be a self-controlled statting thing.

On a seperate note... I want this prop:
http://giantgummybears.com/giantgummibear-1-2.aspx

Dom said:
RiddickDale said:
I dunno...

If they are going to allow guns then there should be a system where gun use is skill based. I have never even HELD a gun. I should not be able to use one as well as someone who has been hunting since they were 10.

I don't think it needs to be complex though.

Something like what Matt suggested would work.

Then just create a simple list of skills and let people go to town.

Even if somebody has never held a gun, I'm pretty sure they know how it works. Wheter or not they are capable of hitting a target is up to the person and cannot really be translated to skill points.

I have to disagree with you on this. Being able to pick up a gun does not mean that you know how to load and then fire said gun. Much less shoot the gun without hurting yourself. Please just trust me on this, I have taught quite a few people firearm and marksmanship basics.

i almost broke my arm when i was 16 firing a shot gun for the first time. i knew "pull the trigger" i did not know "hold the butt really tight against your shoulder"... that cost me HP cause i had a bruised arm for a week after that.

feel free to look up all the vids of people hitting them in the face with hand guns because they don't compensate for recoil when they fire.

you'd need the skill, just like you need one handed edge to use a sword.

I can pretty much guarantee that I would hurt myself if I tried to shoot a gun.

#justsayin

Can i make the recommendation that for all future usage the term "monster camp" or "monster desk" be referred to as "Zombie Camp" and "Zombie desk". It just helps set the mood. Its not like we have other monsters. I know it sounds trivial but sometimes its the little things :p :)

Back