The Undeath

I have walked about my lands, and my people. I helped families give birth to both children and livestock. I harvested crops and tilled fields.

It is satisfying to feel the richness of fertile soil, to hold a chubby laughing baby in your arms and feel its little heartbeat in your hands...

There is also death. The slumber and repose when one is gone. That is also part of the natural order.

And there is sadness in death... but no evil. It is the final stage.

Ill placed laws?

You did not go then and see what I saw, Witness what I had witnessed. A Necromancer bent on revenge... turned himself into a greater form of undead. He raised the graveyard and made walk those who should no longer walk. And in his rage he said... kill them all... and the undead walked the town. They slayed the villagers. Undead fathers killed their children, undead mothers slayed their husbands, and undead sons and daughters killed their grandparents. The blood of the living poured into the ground and fouled the land.

The Crops withered and died, and the land was infertile.

Undeath took the life of the living and took the life out of the land.

No one will go to that village now or ever again. No blade of grass will grow. No childs laughter will ring through the village square. The songbirds will not fly there.

It is a place of darkness, blight and dispair.

I know as a healer I have an extreme view on death in general. And I know people can be killed by many means, weapons, poison and other forms...

But necromancy? That is an evil beyond imaginging. And to see what it does.... to even have felt it cast upon you...

I agree there are ill posed laws on necromancy. I agree 100%. Instead of one death, instead of obliteration, it should be permanent death.

~Glorianna

zehnyu said:
Arkade,

Noted.

-Aislynn Ravenshire

Aislynn

#1 I thought your last name was Whiteleaf.
#2 no. and you KNOW what I mean.

~Glori

Glori,
Remind me to talk to you sometime about Amani customs. Scarn and I have yet to visit the tree.

-Aislynn

Gloriana,
Surely you would agree that the actions taken by this person who lay waste to this town committed evil acts, and was quite possibly evil them self (philosophical arguments about evil, madness, and responsibility aside). I would also assume that you would consider the actions undertaken evil even if necromancy had not been used. That is, had the town been magically enslaved, the wells poisoned and the land salted, net achieving all of the same results, the lack of necromancy makes these things no less evil. You would not, however, consider salt evil, simply because it can ruin the land. In places where necromancy can corrupt the land, it should certainly be avoided, and there are laws in most of these places to that end. I would say the same about eldritch magic, though there are many fewer places where it harms the land in my experience.

It seems common that many 'evil' sorts tend to gravitate towards necromancy. I believe it is because of the easy power. I have seen far more powerful 'evil' creatures with no necromantic power whatsoever, but it did not make them any more or less evil. Necromancy, like any magic, is a tool, and has no inherent value on it's own. If evil creatures are using it, then they may well be committing evil acts with it. If good creatures are using it, I would hope that they would use it only in locations where the earth will be unharmed, or else they should be educated in its potentially harmful effects.

Finally, your presupposition that I am not a Healer is only partially true. While I certainly do not memorize many healing spells (as I tend to prefer protectives, curses, and binding), I am none the less capable of granting Life to fallen comrades and bringing death upon my enemies. I am quite certain you are more ritually capable in each school then am I, but you are certainly not the only one of us who can mystically heal.

It is my endeavor to understand all of the tools of battle magic, necromancy included, but please do not confuse my research and discourse with encouragement or acceptance of necromancy. Since the last time I saw you in Valdenis, I have completed my sword, and upon it lie rituals which serve no purpose but to slay the Unliving. I am a scholar, but my research does not stay my hand.

~Kerjal

I ponder, have I offended Lady Knight Glorianna with my academic musings? If so I apologize and I shall refrain from such research in your presence. The planes of power always hold an interest to me, since the joining and after the breaking and my curiosity will sometimes take over. My interest in the topic was how each magic was categorized and if it was based on the planes they originate from or some other source.

May the forest be your sanctuary,
Dame Lady Knight Wildescent Nightwolf ~ Arrandin Empire, White Rose Keep

obcidian_bandit said:
It seems common that many 'evil' sorts tend to gravitate towards necromancy. I believe it is because of the easy power. I have seen far more powerful 'evil' creatures with no necromantic power whatsoever, but it did not make them any more or less evil. Necromancy, like any magic, is a tool, and has no inherent value on it's own. If evil creatures are using it, then they may well be committing evil acts with it. If good creatures are using it, I would hope that they would use it only in locations where the earth will be unharmed, or else they should be educated in its potentially harmful effects.

~Kerjal

It is my viewpoint and belief that No good creature with any amount of common sense would use necromancy.

Necromancy is not a tool. It is inherently in of its own nature evil.

There is nothing good about casting chaos, turning into undead, or raising the dead to do your bidding. Academically or not I view it as a henious perversion of Earth magics and of the balance of life itself.

For me there is no open minded discussion of necromancy. It must be eradicated from fortannis.

Since I cannot therefore openly discuss such matters I withdrawl from this distastefull discourse.

I abhor Necromancy and I will fight it with every breath of my body.

~Glorianna

Arkade,

Clearly, you are part of the reason why such statutes exist in the first place. You apparently hold the power of Earth magic though absolutely none of the wisdom to properly wield it. I sincerely hope that you learn the damage of necromancy and the wisdom you will so desperately need to wield it properly. Until such time, you would do well to look over your shoulder for Mother Earth will surely seek to avenge the damage you do to her by practicing your foul magic.

If you seek true wisdom and knowledge about the damage Chaos magic does to the land I would be happy to speak with you on the matter. If you seek to maintain your willful ignorance and use of necromancy in lands where such statutes foolishly do not exist then I will look forward to your eventual, hopefully swift, permanent demise and dearly wish that Mother Earth allows me to have a hand in the removal of your taint.

Kerjal,

You state that necromancy should be avoided anywhere that necromancy harms the land. This is everywhere. Necromancy is not just a tool, its use damages and corrupts the all land. If you cannot see this, in spite of your apparently extensive adventuring career and research, than I doubt sincerely that you will ever find wisdom on the subject. If you, like Arkade, only refrain from practicing it because of legal statutes then my comments to him go doubly for you as you are seem far more educated and experienced than he and should, therefore, know better.

I am loathe to leave such venom filled notes here, but I can conceive of no other response to individuals who advocate, or seem to be apologists for, the practice of necromancy.

I leave you both with a passage from the words of Lord Kuwo Mushtee in the vain hope that it brings you some wisdom on the matter.

Never call upon chaos. Chaos is not the Love of Life. Work always to destroy the undead. Undeath destroys life. Undeath is unlife. Unlife is Undeath. At first it seems that calling upon chaos grants swift death to living prey, and that therefore chaos is connected tolife. Chaos is not life. Calling on chaos will bring death without feeding the living. Calling on chaos makes the undead stronger. This is the opposite of virtuous action. Chaos is the end. Death is not the end. Death is a gift. Death is life.

May the Earth judge you both appropriately.

-Cedric Fruvous

Cedric

Please send me a copy of Lord Mushtees Book.

Thank you.

Glorianna

Arkade,

Any battle magic spell that uses the word chaos in its incantation is bad. by bad I mean Sorcery or Necromancy which is typically punishable on some level in most civilized lands.

As for Umfufu the angry blue dragon of whatever, your conveying his opinion second hand so its fallible. Its like if I said googoo gaa gaa the silver dragon of sticks said that only celestial casters should be allowed to live.. it's both kind of ridiculous.

Khale

Cedric Fruvous-
Please do not comment on my dreams if you are incapable of getting your story's strate. I don't believe that I have ever claimed of casting one necromantic spell. You call me ignorant, mayhap. But I call you a shallow and closed minded fool.

Glorianna-
It is to my understanding that you have been around the twisted taint far more than myself. Allow me to educate you in some history. Before I ever even knew how to call upon the earth for the simplest spell a group of Necromancers saved my life. They called on earth to save me from a near fatal wolf bite. They killed the wolf using Chaos. It was a random act of kindness, one of them carried me home through the rain. The next time I saw the man, he was hanging from the gallows. Apparently he had used his Chaotic powers to save a woman from a few thugs. The Law is the damn Law though, this was his second offense, and he was gone.

I care for this earth, I call upon it daily. I've slept in villages so tainted that the very earth moaned. Ultimately I seek justification for those who would harness chaos to do good. The world has never seen such a thing because it has never been allowed. Chaos is a tool that our enemy's know we will not use, so they use it agents us.

Obviously your so caught up in "It taints the earth!", "It kills the trees" you see no possibility, thus there is no reason to share my opinions with you. I have this to tell you though, chaos dose not taint this world, ignorance, unwillingness, closed minds, and the "Intelegent" races taint this world!

Mathap I should hold my tongue, though I would uphold the law in everything I do. It seems that many are like the chaotic, evil, villains you despise and would unlawfully have my head. So much for the law-full adventurers of Fortanis!

Arkade,

If you are at all in person, as you represent yourself in the realm of dreams, you are going to make ALOT of friends in Fortannis. Luck be to you, child.

Wizard Nathan Westwind

The Law is writen for the greater good. I am sure that it was not writen carelessly, and I am sure that those who did write it had every rite to do so. Manny of you keep our world a safe place, mayhap I am the one who needs to open his mind. My rant was unrespectfull on a level that is astounding given my position.

May I say one last thing, with a calm heart and sound mind. I have been hurt by manny, emotionaly and phisicaly by those who would have my opinions removed from my shoulders. It is not in my nature to push things aside, it is not in my nature to condemn. Mayhap some day we can work together to find absolute balance. Mayhap some day we will tolerate for a greater good.

My Lords and Ladys, I would like to apologize for my forwardness on the subject. It is not my place to "Educate" anyone. I have very obviously crossed a very defined line, not by my opinions but by my manner. Please accept my most humble apologys for my behavior, I shall silence myself and remind myself of my place.

May warm winds find you on cold nights.
Arkade Prince

Arkade,
It really does not help to close the door after the horses have already gotten out of the barn.

Squire Theodin Hammerfist, Sheriff of Lindall

Squire Theodin Hammerfist, Sheriff of Lindall - While it is impossible to retract words spoken in haste and ardor, it is also important to recognize their provenance. Arkade Prince spoke in passion, and then when his mind had cooled returned to speak again knowing the reception he would receive. Methinks that should be recognized. The center of this entire discussion is the intense desire among all honourable people to steward the land - the only question is how to enact such protection. Arkade Prince is forthright in his intensity, honour, and willingness to protect Fortannis, it is up to those with greater years and wisdom to take his words and understand their firmament, not their superficiality.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Simple Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Dramthin Hartsboon,
I understand his intent. My intent is to merely remind him that once you insult some as he did he should not expect those that he insulted to just move on.

Squire Theodin Hammerfist, Sheriff of Lindall

Squire Hammerfist,

If that was your intent, you would have been better off coming out and saying it. Mincing words and playing about what they mean is for politicians who live in deciet, not warriors with honor who defend the folk.

The boy obviously sees his error in his actions, leave him be on it.

Eli'Razael Daeva'Sahkar Saephis

Knight to the Republic of Unending Night
Lord to the Kingdom of Andar

How can you advocate protecting something using the very thing that destroys it most abhorrently?

The fact that Arkade has not actually cast the spell means nothing to me, save that I cannot turn him in to a magistrate for justice to be done. The fact that he sees nothing wrong with doing so aside from the fact that it will get him arrested disturbs me to my core.

If chaos magic is the only way that something will be saved, then it was not meant to be saved. I would rather go to my permanent death and be at peace with the earth than to have somebody use chaos magic to save me. I will go to the earth eventually anyway. If it is my time to go, then it is my time. Do not use one's life (or even many lives) as an excuse to use that vile, disgusting, destructive magic.

Arkade,

I grow weary of your games. I have listened to you mock the truth for far too long. Now you will shut you ignorant mouth and listen to me.

Cedric spoke... you mocked him.

Glorianna spoke... you accused her.

Now Dikemebe will speak... and my club will remove the taste from your mouth if you even ponder doing the same to me.

I am of the High Ogres. We feel a deep connection with the earth that you will NEVER understand. Your "tool" rots the Earth from its inside like weeks old fruit. Your "weapon" oppresses the will of the Earth like a decades captive slave. With each passing thought you allow your curiosity to destroy your mind the same way.

I have lived in a world with no sun for years now. I have not known the joy of a sunrise. I have not known the beauty that a sunset brings. Yet your words make my world darker. I cannot allow this.

Every corner you turn Arkade... look to the other side.
Every time you wake up Arkade... look about you quickly.
Every time you prepare to sleep... check the hiding places.
Every moment you are alive Arkade... be glad I have not found you.

Until I Bring Back the Sun,
Dikembe

Arkade said:
I am an earth caster, I am a healer. Due to the Law I will not call upon the powers of chaos. Due to the corruption most fall into and the law dispises. I have felt the touch of chaos, and it tourtures me to this day. But, I respect the powers of chaos, powers that I see equal to healing.

Arkade said:
Calling upon the earth is a way to aid, calling upon chaos is a way to defend. I will condem no one for calling on chaos. I have pride in knowing the power I hold within.

Your views are noted, and you are now a watched individual. Most with your views will slip up after a time, and it is now a matter of waiting.

True apology after showing your true nature can only come from changing your nature, not by flattering others with words.

May you find peace before those who are less patient find you.

-Pantzike

Back