This rule change is horrible

Seeing a good capstone thing like high magic for fighter/rogue/scouts is the one thing I really wish 2.0 had added. High magic and formals are very cool. I think all classes should have something like that. Fighters seem now less like dnd 2nd edition fighters, but still need some work.

Seeing a good capstone thing like high magic for fighter/rogue/scouts is the one thing I really wish 2.0 had added. High magic and formals are very cool. I think all classes should have something like that. Fighters seem now less like dnd 2nd edition fighters, but still need some work.

You have no idea how badly I want this.

I'm also still holding out for Artisans either getting Formal Crafting recipes or just the ability to qualify for Formal Magic via levels of production skills, but that's just me. :)

Fighter capstone is pulling out a heavy crossbow and drilling a 200 pt Slay into some poor baddie.

And their friends.

This needs to be done in slo-mo, preferably with the wind going through the Fighter’s hair.

I'm also still holding out for Artisans either getting Formal Crafting recipes or just the ability to qualify for Formal Magic via levels of production skills, but that's just me. :)

The Owners formed a crafting committee. They have begun work on an expanded crafting package. But they're in the very early stages now. I suspect it will go through multiple iterations. But, it's something to look forward in the far future.

It'll sound weird, but one of the subtle changes to the high magic system is that the prereqs for casting got moved in to scholar, high magic became gated by points in scholar, and the cost of fighter/rogue to buy high magic points got much cheaper. So in 1.3 it was roughly 300 points to get your first cloak as a fighter and then like 40+ points for each additional (so basically impossible), but in 2.0 it'll be approximately 90 points for the first cloak and 8 points for each additional -- so still expensive, but if it is something you want it is possible at least at high level. (Not claiming this is a _good_ build but it is a feasible build, especially if instead of spells you bought channeling. For ~100 points, you could have 2 cloaks from 4 high magic points, 250pt healing pool, and a 1st level spell. And there will still be the question why you didn't just go spellsword...)

The challenge with a capstone scout ability is that both fighter&rogue are already weapon damage delivers, so there isn't the obvious schtick of "combine the two halves" -- to some extent the fact that weapon profs & backstabs stack does that already. I suppose you could do something like "Swashbuckler: improved slay & improved assassinate effect both slay & assassinate; and any 1H weapon does 3 base damage as long as you are wielding only 1H weapons." But I'd worry that might overshadow each of the subclasses. And it fails to change the feel of the class, such that you suddenly feel much cooler for getting your capstone.

Fighter capstone is pulling out a heavy crossbow and drilling a 200 pt Slay into some poor baddie.

And their friends.

This needs to be done in slo-mo, preferably with the wind going through the Fighter’s hair.

200? Pfft Silly templars. I do dream of having a Heavy crossbow with raging blows for some nice 300 weaponstrikes\ slays.

200? Pfft Silly templars. I do dream of having a Heavy crossbow with raging blows for some nice 300 weaponstrikes\ slays.

Don’t forget Precise in that. Explode ‘em from the inside!

Judging by the responses, us Artisans aren't going to get access to casting Formal Magic any time soon.

Now, crafting stuff in general... well... I can assure that there are Things happening... ;)

Hrm. Artisans can get access to High Magic. Crafter specific High Magic skills could be interesting...

I argued for one. I think it should have been changed to stasis or such. Cant win them all.

At symposium the owners were serious about the problem of death not effecting everything, and folks not using the monster manual just assuming undead shouldn't take death.
This is something I really believe could happen.

I suggested Doom as a new name. You can blame me. The discussion and agreement happened at the Owner's Symposium, and when we were all in person on the same page and it was still a contentious vote.

Paralysis change was based on directly on player feedback, and honestly name changes (and incants but, that's like a huge can of worms) are some of hardest things to get through.
Given how late into the game this suggestion came up, I'd bet good money ARC didn't want to include a potentially contentious name change in their suggestion to fix this spell.

We all play different games, even though there's a lot of overlap South Michigan and Traverse City are very different games. I'd wager those differences grow a lot based on region. It's important to understand that politics do have a real effect on the rules we got/will get/are coming.

So logically the fact that Paralysis didn't get a name change and death did seems to not make sense. But, with out kind of understanding the landscape of what it takes to get stuff passed, and what votes are worth having and getting drawn out, the change makes a lot of sense.

I think we all can agree Paralysis needed a bump (also now rogues can waylay undead which is neat), that was more important than getting caught up on changing it's name.

I hope I'm wrong and that the assumption that Paralysis won't see a lot of undead, elemental, etc cards that have immunity to it because that's how it is in other games and media.

Last edited:
All I got from this is that I can blame everything forever on Chris, and I’m okay with this.

#ThanksChris

The original approved purpose for the rules change was to streamline the rules, make them simpler and easier to learn.

I was worried when we signed off on the ARC developing a significant overhaul of the rules that they would lose sight of the original scope.

Looking forward to 3.0.

The original approved purpose for the rules change was to streamline the rules, make them simpler and easier to learn.

I was worried when we signed off on the ARC developing a significant overhaul of the rules that they would lose sight of the original scope.

Looking forward to 3.0.

Man, I’m a little disappointed that you’d come out of radio silence to be so negative on something that’s been overwhelmingly supported by players across the Alliance, as evidenced by documented feedback.

Sure, everyone probably has some issue with some part of the book, but it is ultimately supported as a better system than 1.3 by a mile.

I suspect that if we ever come to a 3.0 system, it’ll either be driven by a major schism in the Alliance (unlikely), or based on the 2.0 system, which be solidly established (and probably more neatly updated) by that time.

If you want to go back to 1.3, I don’t think you’ll find a solution here. For that, I’m thankful.

Looking forward to 3.0.
I agree completely

Back