This rule change is horrible

Not gonna lie. I’d prefer a Monster DB committee that approved monster cards before they saw play, but that’s just me.

Be the change that you want to see in the world!

I think even having just a general pool for insta-mods/lairs/fishbowls/etc and such to share between chapters would be huge. Would save plot teams some writing, maybe just some tweaking. Maybe a plot discord channel for people to bounce ideas around? Doesn't need to be anything super formal.

Something I've been kicking around as a thing to do is just writing a book of couple hundred fishbowls and offering them to my plot team for a 'here, have a massive supply of things 2 npcs can do to entertain 4-5 PCs for half an hour'. Not because I'm anything great as a writer, but because it's effort they don't have to use beyond pulling cards and TP for it since I don't have access to those resources.

Maybe the solution is updating the Monster DB more frequently? As far as I know, there hasn't been a content update to the Monster DB since the very first one.

The more I think about it, the more I like that idea, actually. A Monster DB committee that releases updates each year could be really amazing, even if it's just adjusting numbers; it doesn't even have to have new monsters/concepts (but can if cool stuff gets created).

There's been 3 updates this year. Between Tony and Mike's work though this new one has really been killer.

United blow, potion coating, and PC corrupt shouldn't have made it into the game.

I feel like it's probably going to take a player going PvP to fix the issue though

3 second gas/scroll traps are problematic too

There's been 3 updates this year. Between Tony and Mike's work though this new one has really been killer.

Is that to the 2.0 monster DB?

If they could keep up the changes and push them out on an annual/bi-annual basis, that would rock.

Not gonna lie. I’d prefer a Monster DB committee that approved monster cards before they saw play, but that’s just me.

I like this idea in principal, but it might make plot teams less likely to experiment if they have to go through a review process first. Maybe if it were just a thing for non-standard effects that a plot team wants to use; that way someone with a good grasp of the rules can potentially suggest standardized alternatives. I had conversations with Ali and Cymryc and a few others when I was HoP where that happened, and it made things lots easier; and over time, I got better at figuring out creative ways to use standard effects/existing rules.

What's wrong with potion coating and PC's having corrupt? I highly doubt any PC actually ends up using Corrupt, since Necromancy is illegal and all that. Won't comment on United Blow, since I'm an adept and biased.

Cant tell if serious....

Totally! At least here in Calgary, none of the earth casters use necromancy. Or if they do, they somehow keep it very well hidden.

As for PC's having corrupt? Necromancy needs to be powerful and dangerous, otherwise people wouldn't risk it.

What's wrong with potion coating and PC's having corrupt? I highly doubt any PC actually ends up using Corrupt, since Necromancy is illegal and all that. Won't comment on United Blow, since I'm an adept and biased.

I'm curious as well. Corrupt strikes me as effectively a higher level charm with an equally higher level spell to reverse it. Mind you, like any such effect, plot teams will need to keep a tight leash on how its used by NPCs, but it's no more of a game wipe ability than traps have ever been in the hands of a PC.

I'm curious as well. Corrupt strikes me as effectively a higher level charm with an equally higher level spell to reverse it. Mind you, like any such effect, plot teams will need to keep a tight leash on how its used by NPCs, but it's no more of a game wipe ability than traps have ever been in the hands of a PC.

Corrupt can be cast as a reversed life spell. Which means if you corrupt an earth caster you gain an additional number of corrupts equal to their life count (which is generally a popular spell). It also necessitates life or the target goes to the circle.

Lots of lifes = Lots of corrupt
No life = Instant circle

It's only going to take 1 or 2 instances of PvP for 2.0 to become really really problematic.

Corrupt can be cast as a reversed life spell. Which means if you corrupt an earth caster you gain an additional number of corrupts equal to their life count (which is generally a popular spell). It also necessitates life or the target goes to the circle.

Lots of lifes = Lots of corrupt
No life = Instant circle

It's only going to take 1 or 2 instances of PvP for 2.0 to become really really problematic.

"The player (not the character) has the choice to use or not use per-day skills and spells while under the effect of Corrupt, and will use magic items based on the orders they are given."

So yes, it could be a problem, but only if the players specifically want to make it one. Same as Traps now, there's nothing but my desire for others to have fun preventing me from blowing up the tavern at dinner and causing a town wipe.

PvP is inherently part of the game... all the rules can do is make it fair for all sides from a skill perspective.

Hooo boy. That's one to unpack, because I don't think any of us can make a good faith argument that this game has ever even tried to balance for PvP.

What's wrong with potion coating and PC's having corrupt? I highly doubt any PC actually ends up using Corrupt, since Necromancy is illegal and all that.

The key issue is what happens when you have an instance where necromancy isn't illegal? If there are no downsides IG to using necromancy, I can easily see this being a nice pvp mechanic. I know "necromancy is illegal" is always the unified reason why something won't happen; but that isn't the case in some chapters where it's supported and encouraged.

I don't think any of us can make a good faith argument that this game has ever even tried to balance for PvP.

Making Necro illegal was the original "good faith effort" to balance for PVP. Back then, it was hideously powerful.

I know "necromancy is illegal" is always the unified reason why something won't happen; but that isn't the case in some chapters where it's supported and encouraged.

Chapters where Necro is not illegal are breaking the game's By-Laws full stop.

Making Necro illegal was the original "good faith effort" to balance for PVP. Back then, it was hideously powerful.

Even with Necro being illegal, 99% of characters in 2.0 are 2-3 spell stops at most. The removal of pocket bane/cloak/dodge stacks puts us back into D&D style caster supremacy pretty quickly.

Chapters where Necro is not illegal are breaking the game's By-Laws full stop.

Somebody ought to remind at least one of the Owners, then.

Even with Necro being illegal, 99% of characters in 2.0 are 2-3 spell stops at most. The removal of pocket bane/cloak/dodge stacks puts us back into D&D style caster supremacy pretty quickly.

How so? Fighters have mettle and spell parry. Rogues have dodge, Casters have cloaks and banes. I dont think any 20+ level character is really going to drop to 2-3 spells if they dont want too.

I am surprised there are chapters that are promoting necromancy. As Randy pointed out necromancy is highly illegal in Calgary and the Earth guild will hunt you down if you turn into a necromancer. Also dryads and high ogre are against necromancy. Being a necromancer would mean any NPC or PC of those races would come after you. Moreover, the rulebook itself says necromancy will always be illegal in the main area in which game take place.

Hiya! I just stepped up as the head of the Monster Database Committee just this last month and we are working yet another pass at it. Right now, it's in a pretty good place. I hope to release in the next week all the new "orc" cards to have the player and staff base take a look at them so that they can see our methodolgy. We'll then go on to make another pass using the latest release of the playtest packet. Another project that we will be working on is a form so that plot teams can give us feedback on cards in case they need changed or to suggest new monsters they'd like to see in the database. In addition we are filling in some power level gaps in certain types of creatures to give plot teams more granularity to work with. I just got back from our game this weekend but I'll try and get an official post up this week.

Big thanks go out to Tony Mungo and the rest of the committee on all their work so far. The database is looking really good and I hope that it's a good tool for plot committees.

Thanks!
Mike

Back