Worthless Bits of Information We Like to Share

Marcena said:
Karate actually originated in India, but was developed further in China.

Asian Empty-hand fighting styles can trace their origins through China to India. Karate specifically is Japanese martial art, originating on the island of Okinawa. When it was in India it hadn't become Karate yet.

White Out was invented by the mother of Mike Nesmith (formerly of the Monkees).

AND

For the math lovers: 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

((had to try that math one on my calculator and my calculator won't go that high))

the lyrics of amazing grace can be sung to:
the brady bunch theme song
gilligan's iland theme song
house of the rising sun

and many other lovely tunes...

((also very weirded out by the DWI convictions of our president and vice!!))

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
((had to try that math one on my calculator and my calculator won't go that high))

Use the one on your computer.

Gilligan of Gilligan's Island had a first name that was only used once, on the never-aired pilot show. His first name was Willy. The skipper's real name on Gilligan's Island is Jonas Grumby. It was mentioned once in the first episode on their radio's newscast about the wreck.

The hand salute originated from the "Hail Caesar" salute of the Roman Empire. The Nazi's adopted the same salute during Hitler's reign.

Our thumbs up gesture is not necessarily used in its original manner, in fact it's only inferred from old writings. There are no visual depictions of it and the only original written Roman reference to it mentions how Caesar would decide someone's fate "with pressed thumb". It has been suggested that a thumb up actually meant "go ahead and kill him" and thumb down meant "sheath your sword".

one piece of "beef" from a fast food restaurant can have up to 1000 different animal's flesh in it! :D

the literal translation of the old Italian that we think of as "thumb down" is actually "thumb turned" and some people think that the thumb was pointed toward the throat, indicating where they thought the sword should go.

when you blush, blood also goes to the lining of your stomach. wierd.

(hence "butterflies" in your stomach when embarassed or shy or nervous)

Barbie's boyfriend Ken was not sold in India until recently because it clashed with the traditional arranged marriage.

Marcena said:
In 1836, Mexican General Santa Anna held an elaborate state funeral for his amputated leg.
A little known story about Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna is how chewing gum was developed. After the war ended in 1848, the General Santa Anna was said to have been exiled in New York. Like many Mexicans, Gen. Santa Anna chewed chicle, the dried sap of the sapodilla tree. While in New York, he gave some of the chicle to Charles Adams, an inventor. Adams tried to make several items out of the chicle but failed. Finally, he did what the Mexicans had been doing for years - he chewed it. Soon he added some flavoring and the rest is chewing gum history.

((that's friggin awesome! first chiclets i ever bought were in mexico!))

Awww! My friend's mom always calls me "chiclet". Neat tidbit.

If you unraveled a french horn's coil, it would be twenty-two feet in length.

Back