Making Ritual Levels More Useful

I can already see the argument coming that anyone can use potions etc without having to spend the build.. But you did get those potions at a lower cost and are saving money, so i guess in essence your saving money at the cost of build...

I guess especially with wands being changed as they are in the new rulebook it makes more sense to think of formal levels as a create skill.

I think the confusion comes from things like the old wands, and the fact that you can scroll craft sweet battle affecting formal spells like destroy formal magic and/or obliterate on occasion. (I'm not saying this is common or anything) The fact also that the book calls scholars with formal magic "Wizards" lends to the idea the formal magic perhaps wasn't intended as a create skill. Perhaps if it were called that more clearly it would help the issue.

Dreamingfurther said:
and the fact that you can scroll craft sweet battle affecting formal spells like destroy formal magic and/or obliterate on occasion

Neither of these rituals can be spellcrafted... which I'm guessing is what you mean by "scroll craft"

Yea sorry I meant spellcrafted. And mabye if they can't be cast at the hands of PC's I'm sure they have been cast at the hands of NPC's...

were is the wording on Wands currently?

I LOVE the idea of wands though it is an after though bandage effect it isn't to bad of an idea.. from what I understand thus far that is. I'll look over the wording on wands and have more of an opinion on the matter I'm guessing.

Well all I know is that i've experienced and heard of supper big bad guys casting Obliterate and Destroy Formal Magic without CoP's...

Anyways currently wands are something you can enchant with formal magic. They get really powerful when you have like 25 levels of formal magic or so I believe.

The new wands will not be tied to formal magic at all. You will be able to purchase them at logistics for 2 silver per elemental type. Then you can cast "x elemental type" the same number of times as you have spell slots per day (you can switch up wands to switch the type of elemental damage). x is equal to 1 + the number of 9th level spell slots you have. (To keep wands in the hands of the true scholars mostly)

Dreamingfurther said:
Well all I know is that i've experienced and heard of supper big bad guys casting Obliterate and Destroy Formal Magic without CoP's...

This is Dragon/Shadow Magic...

Big thread, old boards, you participated in it, discussed it at some length

Barring random LCO effects the only way an NPC can cast an Oblit or any ritual without a COP is either having Dragon/Shadow magic and/or the NPC only ritual which allows them to create a Ritual Activate.

None of which is ever available to PCs. If a PC wants to cast an Obliterate its 30 minutes in a COP.
Which is good. Obliterate is heinous.

yep now I remember. they just got confused in my mind... >.<

Dreamingfurther said:
The new wands will not be tied to formal magic at all. You will be able to purchase them at logistics for 2 silver per elemental type. Then you can cast "x elemental type" the same number of times as you have spell slots per day (you can switch up wands to switch the type of elemental damage). x is equal to 1 + the number of 9th level spell slots you have. (To keep wands in the hands of the true scholars mostly)

Am I the only one that thinks wands should be made by a smith? This would be the only weapon taged item not required by a smith. Would be nice....seeing how now you are involving team work into it.

Gilwing said:
Dreamingfurther said:

Am I the only one that thinks wands should be made by a smith? This would be the only weapon taged item not required by a smith. Would be nice....seeing how now you are involving team work into it.
That would be very nice. However the price is so small that it might be more annoying than usefull. That said they could just be given a very very small production cost like 5 or even 1, just to add the teamwork but not break the reason for them.(Not like smiths dont always have a few 1 or 2 PP due to the odd costs on armor.)

Can you show me an example of when a Blacksmith has actually made a wizards wand in a book or movie?

The point of wands is to give a benefit to a caster... not ritual casters per se... in fact a true ritualist (i.e. 1 9th level spell) will be worse off with a wand than a person at the same build who has gone all spells.

Personally, I like the "Look! I made it myself!" aspect to the wands... though I keep wondering if the celestial casters just poop them out...

paythin said:
Can you show me an example of when a Blacksmith has actually made a wizards wand in a book or movie?

Can you show me where a slay to the foot kills some one...or how about the slow guy calling dodge or a disarm that hits the body instead of the weapon...Justing maybe because its a game.

I hear left and right people talking about Alliance being about team work and co-op....but now this will be the only thing that a class can make; at least require 1 level of formals to make it or something if not smithing which by the way makes arrows too.

Gilwing said:
paythin said:

Can you show me where a slay to the foot kills some one...or how about the slow guy calling dodge or a disarm that hits the body instead of the weapon...Justing maybe because its a game.

I hear left and right people talking about Alliance being about team work and co-op....but now this will be the only thing that a class can make; at least require 1 level of formals to make it or something if not smithing which by the way makes arrows too.

It requires the skill Read Magic.

I believe that wand is a step in the right direction, to help save a severely underpowered class (which my primary happens to be). I am glad that this is being addressed, though I am curious if there are any plans to rework the rest of the functionality of the class. In other words if you decide to not do ritual the class is still underpowered, compaired to others-even up against the Earth casters.

Also, was there any talk about the "wand" being phys-repped by other object such a Staff? I know of far more examples of staves in literature, film and gaming; and can only really think of a single example (of a mage in a fantasy story )not having a staff and using only a wand. I also think (as a caster) that it would be great as flavor to be able to have my "wand" be a staff instead. Casters would need to buy the skill "Staff", and it would function otherwise normally until the caster used the "wand skill" then it would be a mages staff...

I have aquestion as well. When a ritual caster creates an item, a shield for example, is there any ways to "name" the item. example: Tabin Silverbough Ritual caster creates a permanent sword with the following enchantments- Monster slayer +8, spirit link, damage aura +1 and permanence. Is there a way to name the sword "Silverbough", or "Ghostbane"
so that when the item is identified and on the tag it says "the true name of the sword? I know it seems weird but I think it would be great to hear about a sword I made being used in a battle, or the legend of a weapon a pc caster made leading The duke's armies against the undead.

I would favor neat "flavor" things like this even if it made rituals difficulty go up if you chose to name the weapon for example. I also feel that most gamers would favor these sort of changes as it may not make us more powerful but it does increase our "cool" factor.

just some thoughts,
Ray
ps: is there a place I can make a suggestion about the rituals race change(changes) and spirit forge???

We named our magic sword. It was nothing fancy, but it had a name, and made the weapon far cooler than it should have been. There is no game mechanic for recording the 'truename' of a weapon, unless you actually write it on the weapon, and then the tag would have that in the description.

Casting Lore on a weapon I think would give you what its name was, if it ever had one. But thats a plot thing. Unless you have a named weapon stolen, and transferred, and then you steal it back and lore it to see if its was your trusty old 'orc crusher'. But again, thats a plot/logistics thing.

Back