The Undeath

Listening to this guy run his jaw reminds me that i have many many acid traps to make...

Man-at-Arms Obadiah Pyrite
Vex Squad, Untiring Phalanx, Legion D

I must say ... I am surprised that so many people, normally defenders of peace, become so literally violent against another merely for offering his opinion in debate. This discussion leads me to believe that stating your opinion will only get people to yell at you, make rash assumptions, and then threaten you even though nothing harmful was said in the first place.

Thank you all for making it clear that the dreaming community is so judgemental.

Good day,
Frey Hroth

Frey,
Open discussion on things that remain in grey area are welcomed. Something that we all know, that the land knows is evil?

Is not. Other than discussing the best way to reverse or end it when it invades your own land.

I will fight the taint until I join the tree,
-Aislynn Ravenshire

Frey said:
I must say ... I am surprised that so many people, normally defenders of peace, become so literally violent against another merely for offering his opinion in debate. This discussion leads me to believe that stating your opinion will only get people to yell at you, make rash assumptions, and then threaten you even though nothing harmful was said in the first place.

Thank you all for making it clear that the dreaming community is so judgemental.

Good day,
Frey Hroth

You debate the value of ritual scrolls.

You debate Whether Elementals have spirits.

You debate whether or not Prison is more powerful than Ward.

You do NOT debate the validity of necromancy. So assume that you can makes you a fool.

Until I Bring Back the Sun,
Dikembe

Aislynn,

I have spent what seems an eternity in darkness. I have spent the time since we last spoke pondering the power and fury of the earth. I will soon be as a weapon at the Earth's disposal.

Dikembe

It is an institutionalized belief that it is evil. It is most commonly used by evil people. It has some spells that are, indeed, heinous. However, why does that mean it can't be discussed civilly without threats?

As soon as several people started to talk rationlly about the subject several others accused them of actually having cast it or they were called ignorant or they were openly threatened. How is that acceptable?

All topics should be open for free discussion without threat of bodily harm or name calling. Doing either merely breeds hard feelings, fear (which is not a good thing), and lowers respect of all parties involved. This is a discussion, not a witch hunt. People need to calm down, realize that this is a discussion, and stop resorting to threats. If anyone follows up on those threats they are completely in violation of many common laws. Do not bring yourselves down to the levels of the common thug. Instead, rise above that level and actually promote discussion instead of blindly believing what one has been told.

Good Day,
Frey Hroth

Violence is what gets the job done. sometimes the people of fortannis are too dense in the head to understand anything until a cut from a sword opens them up. Blood and Death make awareness possible.
you say hold the violence this is an open debate, I say the violence is what shows the level of seriousness in this conversation. Perhaps Arkade should venture down to my lands and my sword would be happy to create some awareness for him and help reinforce and reiterate this education he is trying to garner.

People:

If you are going to discuss a viotile subject such as Necromancy.

Either take the heat or get out of the kitchen.

A subject touched upon such as this will rise great passion, and much opinionated views.

Just as Grass is Green and the Sky is Blue, there are those of us know KNOW necromancy is evil.

You may dispute Grass is blue and the Sky is Green. I will wonder whats wrong with your eyes.

You dispute with me and tell me Necromancy is only a "tool" that laws against it are ill advised, and that your life was saved by necromancy and you see nothing wrong with it... well then I will stand and wait and watch, for the day you cast it is the day I will bring you before a magistrate.

There are things which are simply abhorrent to people who are in their cores, good and just. No one sits and discusses the best way to commit a murder... you would have sheriffs on your tail. No one openly discusses the best way to poison your lovers husband so you can bed her yourself, thats sick. No one sits and discusses the best way to kill a baby (and before you argue semantics, insert legally recognized citizen race here).

If you did, people would find you loathe and vile and think your spirit is as black as coal.

So verily you discussing Necromancy... those of us who KNOW... we find your spirits blacker than the darkest coal. There is no shades of Grey on this subject. There is only Black and White. Evil and Good.

And You are correct on one thing. It is not illegal to discuss necromancy. It is not illegal to discuss magical theory. And it IS illegal to enact vigilante Justice on someone who has not committed a crime.

But do not expect those of us who KNOW in our very cores how evil a thing necromancy is, to remain silent... as you discuss such an act of evil as if it were the color of a flower...

Dikembe. No vigalante Justice. You are better than that.

And as to the apologies given. It is not that I am offended by your words. I am saddened by the ignorance in them...

In Service

Lady Knight Glorianna Wyndancer Nordenn

I am an ignorant and youthful elf. I have been raised to understand there is a distinct dichotomy between Good and Evil and have been told how each comport themselves. However, I still am confused at times as to their meaning.

It is common law that Chaoticians and Necromancers create destruction in their path and are, thusly, illegal - but it's the transition to Evil where I get twisted. I am not suggesting Chaos does not hurt the land and weakens the spirit, but how is that Evil? And, please, before I am denounced or threatened, please understand I only seek explanation. Is the common consent that Evil is anything which disrupts Fortannis? Is Evil anything which perverts the Balance? And, if so, why are not extra-planar elementals Evil? And wouldn't also any spells and magics which upset the Balance be Evil as well? Would not any being who acts without equilibrium also be Evil?

I have spoken with the trees and they don't speak of Good and Evil, they speak of pain and woe: symptoms of any disruption whether it be chaotic or not. The only beings I know which speak of Evil are we mortals. I tell you, my greatest fear is that I will wrap myself so tightly in the aegis of Good I will loose myself in blindness. Explain to me Evil and Good.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Simple Keeper of the Tainte Grove

Violence gets the job done only in anarchic societies or thuggish circles that are controlled by bullies. Using violence, or even threatening to use violence, in an intellectual debate merely reveals the bully nature behind them and also causes more problems now that the bully must be dealt with. Blood and death may make awareness possible for some, but visiting pain and death upon a stubborn person will only reinforce their belief thus defeating the purpose of the violence you advocate.

Lady Glorianna,

Yes, this topic does have a large quantity of heat involved, but people should not be throwing the fire with the intention to burn in rational debates.

I can in fact dispute that grass is green and the sky is blue. First, the sky: What color is the sky when it is overcast? It is not blue. What color is the sky at dusk or dawn? It is not blue. Therefore, the sky is not absolutely and constantly blue. And have you ever asked why the sky is blue? Wondered about it's mere existance? To accept that it is blue, nothing but blue, and always will be blue is a stubborn blind faith that is fallible and should be revisited or revised. Grass may be green when it is in certain areas and has the appropriate moisture to facilitate it's color, but what color is grass in the desert? What color is sea grass? What color is your grass when it has been hot or dry for a while? None of those answers come up 'green'. Therefore, grass is not absolutely green. Why is some grass sometimes green would be an appropriate follow-up question.

As Alavatar said earlier in this dream, actions are neutral - it is the intention behind the action that determines whether or not it is evil. Murder is defined as the unlawful killing of one person by another, especially with premeditated intent. That, by itself, is evil. If people sat around and discussed the best way to kill or harm bandits attacking their merchant caravan ... would that be considered evil? Your poison example is a perfect one that shows it is intent behind that action that determines it's nature, for it is the nature of the person committing the action that is evil. The action merely facilitates the person's nature.

Anyway, I appreciate you acknowledging that this discussion should not promote violence. I only wish that others would be so wise, especially those who claim to protect.

Good day,
Frey Hroth

Oy.
Well for one. I do not see a difference between chaosmancy and necromancy. It is necromancy. That is one definition difference.

To explain evil and good.... is to understand the Virturor and the Iniquitis.

Evil destorys
Good nurtures and creates...

Evil and Good some may argue are terms made by mortal sentient beings... and honestly in the greater discourse of things there are a million shades in this discussion.

Focusing directly however within the context of necromancy:

Necromancy is "evil" "bad" because it is a perversion of the power of earth. Earth is a healing power, a power to nurture. It helps the green things grow and heals the people. It is a natural power and it is part of the cycle.

Chaos magics some argue are part of the cycle. But there are chaos "magics" and "entropy of chaos". Entropy is different than the magics harnessed by chaos.

In its rawest form: it is UNNATURAL to raise the dead. They are dead. Thats what dead is. Its dead. Im not saying giving life, for there is a time when that works. I mean... 2 weeks, rigor mortis... dead.

A necromancer takes unnatural energy and animates that corpse. A corpse which is rotted, dead, no life flows, no blood flows, no brain functions. Its different than a golem because a golem was NEVER sentient, it never breathed it never lived. It is a thing.

You take a body and you instill it with perverse magics so it is a parody of the life it once had. Its sick twisted and evil.

Now. HERE is where people go OK thats necromancy... and chaosmancy is just the casting of chaos which is ok.

And here is where I say no. Chaosmancy is necromancy. Because necromancy is the use of chaos magics. NOT just chaos magic to animate the dead, but the use of chaos magics at all. in ANY form.

Chaos magics harm the earth. They make the trees ache wither and die, they make the grass turn brown and the soil unable to sustain life. Why would someone weild a power which would make the earth itself unable to sustain us to live? Necromancy is the use of chaos magics which is making the land itself unable to sustain life.

It happens slowly, subtly... but it happens. And one day... if so many curious scholars go... oh chaos is just chaos and go weilding it as if it were ok...

How many forests will it take to die?
How many crops must wither?
How many unborn babies must be buried?
How many undead must be raised

for you to understand... what is good and what is evil?

~Lady Knight Glorianna Wyndancer Nordenn

Frey said:
Lady Glorianna,

I can in fact dispute that grass is green and the sky is blue. First, the sky: What color is the sky when it is overcast? It is not blue. What color is the sky at dusk or dawn? It is not blue. Therefore, the sky is not absolutely and constantly blue. And have you ever asked why the sky is blue? Wondered about it's mere existance? To accept that it is blue, nothing but blue, and always will be blue is a stubborn blind faith that is fallible and should be revisited or revised. Grass may be green when it is in certain areas and has the appropriate moisture to facilitate it's color, but what color is grass in the desert? What color is sea grass? What color is your grass when it has been hot or dry for a while? None of those answers come up 'green'. Therefore, grass is not absolutely green. Why is some grass sometimes green would be an appropriate follow-up question.

As Alavatar said earlier in this dream, actions are neutral - it is the intention behind the action that determines whether or not it is evil. Murder is defined as the unlawful killing of one person by another, especially with premeditated intent. That, by itself, is evil. If people sat around and discussed the best way to kill or harm bandits attacking their merchant caravan ... would that be considered evil? Your poison example is a perfect one that shows it is intent behind that action that determines it's nature, for it is the nature of the person committing the action that is evil. The action merely facilitates the person's nature.

Anyway, I appreciate you acknowledging that this discussion should not promote violence. I only wish that others would be so wise, especially those who claim to protect.

Good day,
Frey Hroth

The sky is blue and the grass is green arguement is semantics. The ideas I expressed taken within the context they were ment make sense. Im not going to argue minucia, its pointless.

If a group of people sat around discussing the best way to kill or harm bandits, then YES THAT IS EVIL. What is Lawful and GOOD is to discuss how to bring them in for a FAIR trial, where they would account for their crimes and IF FOUND GUILTY would then be judged according to the laws of the land they are in. Now dont argue semantics here either. if the laws are unjust then dont live there. If they bandits are innocent hopefully their trial is fair.

But evil is to murder them to kill them without even allowing their entitlement - a trial.

And yes even if intention is GOOD evil acts can be done.

I intended to do a good thing.
I sat in council and left there in agreement that the Dominion should be released to stop the ONE.

And In doing so, for GOOD, a necromantic race which enslaves was released upon my world.

A truly evil act. Both choices were poor. To release the dominion and stop the One or to keep the dominion incarcerated and allow the One to grow in power.

In the end we picked what we had hoped were the lesser of two evils.

And only in that, did I understand what true evil was.

The enslave their own kind... they drop people from the skies and watch their bodies plumment to the land below. They cast NECROMANCY and taint our Earth ....

I am in pain, because in my DESIRE to do good by stopping the One and freeing innocents who had sacrificed themselves to stop the dominion... an evil beyond imaginging has been unleased on my lands.

So... when I see someone question. I wish I could show you the pain I have and the burdeon my spirit bears... to understand... and to ... learn before such another mistake in the name of "good" happens again.

I live to regret. And I will regret this all my days. I did evil, when I intended good. And no amount of intentions will stop the evil the dominion does.

And YES I PLOT their death. I take their lives. In the field of War. Because parley did not work. And one cannot parley with people who kill innocents and cast necromancy. But their generals and their leaders will be held for crimes and have a trial. Their soldiers will face us on the field and we will fight. Should they wish to surrender we will take them and they will be allotted rights as prisoners of war until such time as the war has ended.

But I will not plot to murder them. We stand in the field eye to eye, warrior to warrior knowing we fight because we believe in what we fight for.

*sigh*
I am off topic and my heart is weary.

I have seen too much to even articulate what it is I wish to say.

!Glorianna

AllianceNJ said:
The sky is blue and the grass is green arguement is semantics. The ideas I expressed taken within the context they were ment make sense. Im not going to argue minucia, its pointless.

I feel quite the contrary. Semantics are extremely important in any debate. You were attempting to say that the sky is unequivically, absolutely, and always blue to assert your point that necromancy is also unequivically, absolutely, and always evil. Since the sky not always blue that does not facilitate your argument.

AllianceNJ said:
If a group of people sat around discussing the best way to kill or harm bandits, then YES THAT IS EVIL. What is Lawful and GOOD is to discuss how to bring them in for a FAIR trial, where they would account for their crimes and IF FOUND GUILTY would then be judged according to the laws of the land they are in. Now dont argue semantics here either. if the laws are unjust then dont live there. If they bandits are innocent hopefully their trial is fair.

But evil is to murder them to kill them without even allowing their entitlement - a trial.

I believe I stated my example incorrectly. I meant to advocate that killing in self defense is usually not considered evil even though the action is the same. That one person killed another person.

AllianceNJ said:
And yes even if intention is GOOD evil acts can be done.

I intended to do a good thing.
I sat in council and left there in agreement that the Dominion should be released to stop the ONE.

And In doing so, for GOOD, a necromantic race which enslaves was released upon my world.

A truly evil act. Both choices were poor. To release the dominion and stop the One or to keep the dominion incarcerated and allow the One to grow in power.

In the end we picked what we had hoped were the lesser of two evils.

And only in that, did I understand what true evil was.

The enslave their own kind... they drop people from the skies and watch their bodies plumment to the land below. They cast NECROMANCY and taint our Earth ....

I am in pain, because in my DESIRE to do good by stopping the One and freeing innocents who had sacrificed themselves to stop the dominion... an evil beyond imaginging has been unleased on my lands.

So... when I see someone question. I wish I could show you the pain I have and the burdeon my spirit bears... to understand... and to ... learn before such another mistake in the name of "good" happens again.

I live to regret. And I will regret this all my days. I did evil, when I intended good. And no amount of intentions will stop the evil the dominion does.

And YES I PLOT their death. I take their lives. In the field of War. Because parley did not work. And one cannot parley with people who kill innocents and cast necromancy. But their generals and their leaders will be held for crimes and have a trial. Their soldiers will face us on the field and we will fight. Should they wish to surrender we will take them and they will be allotted rights as prisoners of war until such time as the war has ended.

But I will not plot to murder them. We stand in the field eye to eye, warrior to warrior knowing we fight because we believe in what we fight for.

*sigh*
I am off topic and my heart is weary.

I have seen too much to even articulate what it is I wish to say.

!Glorianna

You are too harsh on yourself. I do not know of the Dominion, the One, or this necromantic race. But it sounds like you acted with the knowledge available and made the perceived best choice available. Therefore, your actions were not evil. The result is something that must be dealt with, but the actions that caused the problems were done with the knowledge that good would be done. The ends does not justify the means, and you know that. If you had known what was to come it sounds like you would not have made the same choice. Therefore, your actions were certainly not evil.

Knowledge is what empowers us, what allows us to perceive good and evil. The more knowledge you have the more capable you are of making ethical and morally correct choices.

Good day,
Frey Hroth

Denizens of dreams and waking,

Never once have I avocated that Chaos magic (that we know of) is not unnatural. I know too well the influence it has on our realm. Please note I only joined in on this topic to see if I could get some intelligent discussion started on the origins of the magic we wield. As a noble in Arrandin, it is my duty to protect and fight against evil and evil intentions. Please do not place me in a generic clump of "Chaos supporters" for that is false and I would take offense to such slander. I only sought to enter a possible intelligent discussion on magic and their planes of origin versus the labels we have placed on them.

As for the color of my spirit, Lady Knight, that is still being debated. <A hint of possible teasing enters her normally monotone voice>

Frey,

Please locate the nearest campfire or bonfire and try to smother it out with your body.

Glorianna,

Where you see vigilante justice I see glorious retribution for an act that has robbed me of the sun.

Dikembe

Nothing has hurt this world as Necromancy has. The twisted Chaos has made a putrid mess of this world, and great and honorable people of every race have protected the life that still remains. I said that I would not stop one who calls on chaos, I would not condemn them. If I saw a vampire calling chaos I would harness the furty of this world to destroy it. Unlike manny, I am beyond hate, anger, and pitty for what has happened to our world. I feal the earth's sting, and the burn of the touch of chaos. I look beyond my selfish hate and fear, I will become the change I want in this world. I will heal, and aid in the rebirthing of light and truth. Allow me to turn this disscusion in a different direction.

Obviously there are those of us who will argue to the ends of the earth that we see some sort of balence in chaos. There are those of us who are sickened by the thought of one who would not kill another for calling on chaos. This topic runs beyond laws and into our very essence and morals. How can we all work for the same common goals without breaking into violance? What common ground do we stand on? We all care for the well being of those who breathe life, let us discuss rebuilding. I hear that Valdanis is recovering well, is there anything we ALL can do to help?

Arkade said:
Nothing has hurt this world as Necromancy has. The twisted Chaos has made a putrid mess of this world, and great and honorable people of every race have protected the life that still remains. I said that I would not stop one who calls on chaos, I would not condemn them.

How can you admit that Necromancy and Chaos is destroying the world on one hand... and say that you will not stop someone from casting it on the other?

-Pantzike

Anything can destroy if used wrongly, I was simpaly agnolaging that chaos has scared this world. If I saw a stranger call on chaos to kill a bandit, I would care little. A bad man would be dead and IN MY OPINION the balance a hair closer. But thank you for picking that out of my good intent, very... kind of you.

There are plenty of ways to do good that don't involve destroying the earth and calling on foul magic.

You speak as though you are someone very young who is trying to sound educated and failing.

Necromancy is NOT a tool. A sword is a tool. It kills, but in and of itself, that sword is not an evil thing. It is naught but steel and other metals forged to a sharp edge. That same steel could have been shoes for a horse or a farmer's spade or any other manner of useful objects.

Necromancy is the act of taking the natural flow of the earth and corrupting it. That chaos spell IS evil in and of itself. There is no good that can come from chaos magic. None. If you believe otherwise you are even more foolish than you sound.

Arkade,
Although I will not speak for the others, I -will- speak for myself.

I do not fear chaos.
I do not fear those that carry it.

I will always alert the right people when such an atrocity has been cast.
I will always fight the taint upon the land until the day I return to the tree.

I am sorry that the world that raised you has given you such a skewed perception of this tainted magic.

I understand the want to defend the person who defended you. Please understand, though he defended you, he chose to go about it a very, -very- wrong way.

-Aislynn Ravenshire

Back