Worthless Bits of Information We Like to Share

Telokh_Amdo said:
Interesting fact to ponder, from Charles Shulz:

"Don't worry about the world ending tomorrow. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

And another quote from Walt Kelly (who wrote Pogo, a great old comic strip):

"Don't worry too much about life. It ain't no how permanent."

Fearless Leader said:
"Don't worry too much about life. It ain't no how permanent."

"Life is a disease. Sexually transmitted and invariably fatal." - Death, from Sandman (DC Vertigo)

about platypupi (sp???) anyways...do they really have poison spikes on the backs of their forearms that are their defence mechanism???? (sorry this is a question not a tidbit. I'm wondering...there's a conversation going on between my hubby and i whether or not we should let a child of ours have a platypus as a pet)

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
about platypupi (sp???) anyways...do they really have poison spikes on the backs of their forearms that are their defence mechanism???? (sorry this is a question not a tidbit. I'm wondering...there's a conversation going on between my hubby and i whether or not we should let a child of ours have a platypus as a pet)

Males have a poison spur on their back legs. They can harm humans with their venom if provoked.
Platypus on Animal Diversity Web. There is a drawing of the spur and venom sac.

Oh, and the plural of "platypus" is technically "platypi". (You added a syllable, silly Gypsy) Oddly, though, the website I listed spells it "platypuses".

In Tibet, where the ground is too hard and cold to dig graves, they cut up dead bodies and feed them to vultures. It's called a Sky Burial. This is just a regular burial to them.

yeah they're from australia and stuff...its wayyyy too cold for them here....that's a definite NO on the pet thing....

no matter whether you believe in creationism or evolution or whatever big bang. etc.....ya gotta wonder....what was the whole idea with the platypus????? i mean really...the thing is like.....what?! :shock:

WARNING SOMEWHAT GRAPHIC INFORMATION ABOUT BURIALS NO OFFENSE INTENDED

in vermont when it's too cold to bury bodies we put them in big stone vaults until spring...by then they start to thaw and the "juice" is loose in the coffin. there is...soup? in there...

in mexico to save space they bury people standing up

ring around the rosies was about a plague

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
ya gotta wonder....what was the whole idea with the platypus????? i mean really...the thing is like.....what?! :shock:

The platypus and 2 types of echinda are Monotremes. They are mammals that lay eggs. The Platypus is also one of the few venomous mammals. The Echidnas have the same spur, but no functional venom glands. Each of the three is the only member of their Genus.

Class Mammalia (mammals), Subclass Prototheria (egg-laying mammals), Order Monotremata (monotremes)
--- Family Ornithorhynchidae (platypus), Genus Ornithorhynchus (duck-billed platypus)
--- Family Tachyglossidae (echidnas) (a)Genus Tachyglossus (short-beaked echidna), (b)Genus Zaglossus (long-beaked echidna)

so the point was "let's see if we can make a mammal that _____________________"

George W. Bush holds the presidential record for most vacation time with a total in the neighborhood of 490 days off.

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
so the point was "let's see if we can make a mammal that _____________________"

Yes. Just like every other mammal.

(about george bush vacation days)

does the president REALLY have time off? i mean really...he's always the president...hehehehehheeh just a 490 days of 8 years he didn't have to sign anything or "appear" anywhere....thats not too bad....

but i could use 490 paid vacation days in 8 years....

Michael Bermant, MD will do ear shaping surgery for $2800. He also gives many other online quotes for reshaping many other parts of your body.

The reason a skate glides so well is that when ice is compressed it turns into water. Thus, the thin blade creates a compression that forms a layer of water to lubricate between the metal and the ice, thereby facilitating a smooth glide. The water, of course, freezes imediately after it ceases to be compressed.

-Tim

((good heavens thats amazing!!))

The confederates actually built one of the world's first working submarines called the Hunley

There was once a belief called spontaneous generation which involved the idea that the reason maggots and flies are seen around raw meat is that they came from raw meat. This was quickly disproved by an experiment where meat was put in a jar and a screen covered the opening. The flies buzzed around the jar and not the meat, thus disproving spontaneous generation.

Charles Darwin and Sir Iaasic Newton's tombs are part of the main altar in Westminster Abbey.

When asked if he wanted to be buried in the floor iof Westminster Abbey, Winston Chruchill replied, "I don't want people walking all over me for all eternity." He is burried in the countryside.

There are several former amusement parks around where I live including: Angela's Park, San Souci Park, Fernbrook Park, Hanson's Amusement Park, and Rocky Glenn. many of these closed during the 1980s.

There are still a few people who live in Centrallia, a town that literally collapsed over time into fissures left over by the mines and was as a result dissolved as a town.

Jonathan Swift wrote a book called "A Modest Proposal" where he came up to a solution to a food shortage which was to eat babies.

The trading card game Magic the Gathering has cards known as the "Power Nine" which each card is worth hundreds of dollars due to their rarity.

People seeking gold in Alaska had the belief that their excoursion would be like a picnic outing and when they reached the mountain tops there would be gold lying on the ground. Many prospecters becamed stranded and starved and the Canadian Mounties needed to rescue them. for this reason a mandatory provisions list was creadted to lessen the need of rescues.

The game Monopoly is based on Atlantic City.

Thre widely televised sorts in England are Tennis, Soccer, and Darts.

Back