Bin Laden Dead!

when I sign the adoption papers I agreed to keep a rabbit until death . didn't know they meant mine. whenever I'm unconscious or out of the house she's caged since I don't trust her not to set up a trap for me

Although she won't eat a face off , she does have a license to carry a gun
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp6k1Wgvgzg[/youtube]

Cpt.MarcusNelson said:
Anyone else hope CoD puts out a "osama's compound raid" mission pack for Black Ops.

I think an "Osama's Compound" zombies map would be better, no point in adding to the story mode

Cpt.MarcusNelson said:
Anyone else hope CoD puts out a "osama's compound raid" mission pack for Black Ops.

Look at it from the other side of the mirror.

How pissed off would you be if they put out a video game where the intent was to kill US troops who have died in service? Right down to individually rendered faces?

How pissed off were you when you saw video of extremists dancing in celebration around the hanging/burned/mutilated body of someone who gave their life in service to this country?

People celebrating the way they have over this whole thing has done nothing to bring the situation to an end, nor will his death bring back the thousands who have suffered and died. If nothing else, it gives them more fuel for their fire; a picture is worth a thousand words, and a movie of idiot Americans celebrating is worth, what? A thousand more recruits for their cause? Ten thousand?

Whatever the price ends up being, I hope the celebration was worth it.

And for the record, they have acknowledged that he is dead, nobody is denying it.

Avaran said:
Look at it from the other side of the mirror.

How pissed off would you be if they put out a video game where the intent was to kill US troops who have died in service? Right down to individually rendered faces?

How pissed off were you when you saw video of extremists dancing in celebration around the hanging/burned/mutilated body of someone who gave their life in service to this country?

People celebrating the way they have over this whole thing has done nothing to bring the situation to an end, nor will his death bring back the thousands who have suffered and died. If nothing else, it gives them more fuel for their fire; a picture is worth a thousand words, and a movie of idiot Americans celebrating is worth, what? A thousand more recruits for their cause? Ten thousand?

Whatever the price ends up being, I hope the celebration was worth it.

... Vae Victus

Ithica said:
... Vae Victus

Victoria concordia crescit. :)

Oh, and Semper Fi, m&$@*# &$@*#. :p

:ninja:

And a Victoria Secretus right back at y'all...

I come from a family of police officers and see nothing inherently bad about games that have the main player killing cops. Even played them with my brothers who are cops (one in NY, one in Ft. Lauderdale). They think they're a hoot too.

Of course, we are able to separate reality from games and such like so it might be easier for us. :whistle:

That got distorted quickly.
No american team members were even injured in the raid. It would be cool to play through a black ops sweep and clear as a seal team 6 member taking down the most wanted man in the world. Sounds like a pretty rad level to me.

As long as yer up for a sequel where a special ops team from Afghanistan flies a plane into the white house, disembarks, goes through killing marines and secret service until they destroy the ultimate enemy that assassinated their most beloved leader - I'm all up for it too.

Actually, I think this game would be more fun than the Seal 6 team one. Maybe have George W. visiting as an easter egg in the game. ;)

Cpt.MarcusNelson said:
That got distorted quickly.
No american team members were even injured in the raid. It would be cool to play through a black ops sweep and clear as a seal team 6 member taking down the most wanted man in the world. Sounds like a pretty rad level to me.

Except for the fact that it would be in poor taste... to the point of being patently offensive.

Fact: We are not at war with Islam... we are at war with a small portion of that religion... the extremist/funadmentalists. The rest of them are broken up into two groups: The people who like "us" and the people who don't give a crap about "us."

Every time we do something that is patently offensive, hateful and laced with hypocrisy... we run the risk of angering more of the people who currently don't care.

We're all gamers here.... It's good tactics to shut down the spawn points. If there were a space marine building that just spawned Zerglings.... would you ever build it?

RiddickDale said:
Except for the fact that it would be in poor taste... to the point of being patently offensive.
Why is killing Osama offensive but killing Hitler, Goebbels, and legions of nazis is acceptable fodder for all manner of pop culture, including movies and video games alike. Heck, you can even take out JFK as Oswald if you really want to.

Fact: We are not at war with Islam...
Given that Andy never suggested we were, why would you even bring it up?

The assassination and murder of all manner of historical figures, both popular and nefarious, has always been a resource for popular media (short stories, novels, comics, video games, movies, television shows, rpgs) to make money off of. Hell, we play a game in which murder is the most common primary means of conflict resolution. Given that these are all accepted and promoted forms of entertainment, why is a "Osama compound raid pack" the line that should never be crossed?

jpariury said:
RiddickDale said:
Why is killing Osama offensive but killing Hitler, Goebbels, and legions of nazis is acceptable fodder for all manner of pop culture, including movies and video games alike. Heck, you can even take out JFK as Oswald if you really want to.

Fact: We are not at war with Islam...
Given that Andy never suggested we were, why would you even bring it up?

The assassination and murder of all manner of historical figures, both popular and nefarious, has always been a resource for popular media (short stories, novels, comics, video games, movies, television shows, rpgs) to make money off of. Hell, we play a game in which murder is the most common primary means of conflict resolution. Given that these are all accepted and promoted forms of entertainment, why is a "Osama compound raid pack" the line that should never be crossed?

Too soon.

Not if you want to make the buck, it isn't. ;) Although I am curious as to how long one should wait after the death/downfall of someone so inherently evil that it is ok to make a video game about their death/downfall. I remember the same issue with how long it should be after his death to make jokes about how the Crocodile Hunter died. For Norm McDonald, it was 8 days:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-s ... share_copy

We did not see the release of Medal of Honor trigger a huge increase in the Nazi party...

BUT, we ARE currently at war with Bin Laden's people... the last thing we need to do is promote something that helps them recruit... which is what we would be doing.

We're better than that.

Someday if this whole war is over, then sure go ahead... make it happen. But, right now it is just distasteful.

RiddickDale said:
If there were a space marine building that just spawned Zerglings.... would you ever build it?
Yes. Zerglings are cheap and easy to kill, and can get new recruits to level up in a safe, contained environment. ;)
RiddickDale said:
We did not see the release of Medal of Honor trigger a huge increase in the Nazi party...
That would seem to rather support the argument that having a mission pack wouldn't have an appreciable impact one way or another, rather than the converse. I don't see any reason to suspect that a COD mission pack would be the straw that breaks the camel's back on whether or not someone decides to go bombing the infidels anymore than letting Lady Gaga prance about in plastic baggie clothing would.
We're better than that.
Better than what, exactly? To make facsimiles of a real person's death? Clearly not.
Inaryn said:
Too soon.
Too late, apparently.

I can dig the sentiment "Yeah, I wouldn't, because I would find it offensive". But grander statements about what we as a culture or society should or could not do don't bear out.

jpariury said:
Inaryn said:
Too soon.
Too late, apparently.

Just because someone's DONE it already doesn't mean it's still not too soon to have done so. It's utterly tasteless, not as a nation, but as a human being to trivialize someone's death so quickly. I really don't care if it was a mass murderer or the pope. It's still a death, and doing so displays an utter disregard for decency and life.

See, I don't see it as a trivialization of Bin Ladin but a focus on the men & women who worked at getting to the point of having this done.

Inaryn said:
It's utterly tasteless, not as a nation, but as a human being to trivialize someone's death so quickly
Even allowing for the idea that this does do so, I would suggest to you that if it is ever (temporally) tasteless to trivialize someone's death, it is always tasteless to trivialize someone's death. Temporal proximity shouldn't change that.

Dan Nickname Beshers said:
The concept of a mourning period is present in most major civilizations in history.

very few people are actually mourning the death of Osama Bin Ladin. Americans were not the only people that Al Qaeda attacked. He had his hands in the deaths of quite a few Afghani muslim non-extremists as well. Basically, anybody who did not agree with him. Anybody who is actually mourning his death was working off of the same ideals as him and would only make the game even better if they were in it as well. In my opinion, that is.

Back