Worthless Bits of Information We Like to Share

From a bit of research I've been doing, here are some intersting cost of livng figures and the like from the Town Wardens accounts for the city of Melton Wowbray (UK), c. 1536-7:

"Paid for ij gallons of ale for them that blew the bellows at that time: 3d

For fish 2/5, bread and ale 3/8: 6s 1d

Pd. to Wm. Knowles for a quart of wyne as was drunk in ye Church: 12d

Pd. for wyne and cake given to the Vicar of Melton: 12d

Pd. for wyne when the Town Warden was chosen: 1 pound even"

It has also been revealed that the above mentioned Vicar, the Rev. Mr. Staresmore, possessed the following effects after his most tragic death (a story for another time, perhaps):

30 gowns and cassocks
50 dogs
100 pairs of boots
10 wigs
80 wagons and carts
80 ploughs
50 saddles
75 ladders
240 razors
30 wheelbarrows
60 horses and mares
200 picks
200 spades and shovels

He also had an annual income of 1,000 pounds and "1,000 in money."

When John McCain first started campaigning years ago, his staff decided that a good campaign song to play while he walked to the stage was a march: John Philip Sousa's "Liberty Bell March", specifically, especially given its obvious American theme.

Unfortunately, when they did that, people laughed at him, and they stopped it after one appearance.

Here, listen to it and see if you can tell why:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urhFECShOQI[/youtube]
(ignore the visuals, just listen to the music)

Haha!

(edited for putting movie quote on worthless information thread. :( )

It was noted in King George III of England's diary on July 4, 1776 that "Nothing of importance happened today."

people in the "olden days" got their iron supplements by cooking on cast iron pots and pans

Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.

Open Microsoft Word and do the following:

1. Type in upper case Q33. This is the flight number of the first
plane to hit one of the Twin Towers .
2. Highlight the Q33.
3. Change the font size to 48.
4. Change the actual font to the WINGDINGS

I swear i need a new hobby!

Edwin Booth (brother of John Wilkes Booth) saved Robert Todd Lincoln (son of Abraham Lincoln) from falling under the tracks of a slowly moving train in the 1860s...Edwin was travelling with his friend John Ford...owner of the Ford Theater where Abraham Lincoln was assassinated...

coincidence?

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
Open Microsoft Word and do the following:

1. Type in upper case Q33. This is the flight number of the first
plane to hit one of the Twin Towers .
2. Highlight the Q33.
3. Change the font size to 48.
4. Change the actual font to the WINGDINGS

I swear i need a new hobby!

That's so cool!

Too bad neither of the flight numbers to hit one of the Twin Towers was Q33. ;)

i didn't think so either. i just copied and pasted that from freaky facts thing...

Just announced; Toby McGuire is suiting up for films #'s 4 & 5. The Spider-Man movies have made $2.5 billion worldwide.

Cribbage is said to have been invneted and christened by English poet Sir John Suckling (1609-1642). The game was patterened after an earlier game called Noddy, of which today little to nothing is known about. The game survived due to its popularity amongst early American colonists.

If you toss a penny 10,000 times, it will not be heads 5,000 times, but more like 4,950. The heads picture weighs more, so it ends up on the bottom.

It is believed that Shakespeare was 46 around the time that the King James Version of the Bible was written. In Psalms 46, the 46th word from the first word is shake and the 46th word from the last word is spear.

When a dog laps up water it actually brings the water straight up using it's tongue as a spoon, using the bottom as the holding part.. otherwise a dog would drown itself

In "Raiders of the Lost Ark" Indiana walks past a wall covered with hieroglyphics, which include two that look amazingly familiar...

indy-r2d2.jpg

((HAAAAAAAAA! OMGOODNESS I LOVE IT!!!))

Back